Koini is a small village in the southeastern part of the island, about 23 km from the town of Chios. The village was like those medieval Mesta and Olympi. It was completely destroyed and half the inhabitants died in the earthquake of 1881. The lower part of the village (Lower Door) suffered less damage from the earthquake and so is the best preserved part of the Common. Today residents of Koini is permanently around 150.