Agio Galas Chios

Agio Galas


Hits: 1202

Agio Galas is a small village in northwestern Chios at a road distance of 67 km from the town of Chios. It is the place with the longest uninterrupted human presence on the island.

From the middle Neolithic period, around 5,800 BC, the first inhabitants of Chios identify the cluster of three-storey cave and use it as key living space and protection from the weather and wild animals of the era. A turning point in modern history of the late 12th century when the natural entrance of the second floor is added to the Byzantine church of Panagia Agiogalousainas.

Designed By Michalis Simiakakis