Cave in Agio Galas Chios

Cave in Agio Galas


Hits: 1804

72 kl away from the town is a village built on the top of a rocky mountain. One of a kind Caves with stalactites and stalagmites are spread in the region. In this particular cave of Agio Galas People settled down during the Neolithic Era (6000-5000BC) and lived till 2700BC. Pieces of pottery show us that the cave was used as a sanctuary in the Archaic and Roman Times. From the Byzantine period till nowadays has served the Christians as a place of worship devoted to Panagia Agiogalousena (designation of Virgin Mary).

There is also a small chapel of Agia Anna in the cave. The name of the village means milky (white) water because of the color of the water that runs down from the stalactites inside the cave.

Designed By Michalis Simiakakis