1.5 km north of the city are the windmills of the island built on a small jetty at Tampakika. In the late 19th century and early 20th century, it was developed a small scale industrial infrastructure. The main product of small industries of the island was finished leather produced in tanneries, which were on the north of the city at Tampakika. These four windmills were part of this industrial production.
The rock Daskalopetra, which is right above the beach of Vrontados, is one of the most famous monuments of the island. Closely associated with the tradition of Homer and was the place where the great poet used to teach his students. The rock Daskalopetra caused great interest and was visited by the travelers of the island. Others considered it the school of Homer; even the Richard Chandler (1764) named the rock Sanctuary of Cybele.
Cybele, the Great Mother was worshiped in ancient Chios and
Anavatos is a village, with a story that nails anyone who visits him. It is 16 kilometers from the city of Chios, but access is difficult, as it is built on a conical rock 450 meters above sea level making a striking appearance. The residents benefited from the rock and built a wall around the village making it look like a real fortress. The houses were glued next to each other, made of stone, with wooden ceilings, low doorways and small arched windows. The village was abandoned after the
Citrus memories is a museum where documents and historical elements of local citrus fruits are presented. It constitutes a dynamic space for exhibitions in the ground floor of an estate where the visitor can be informed about:
-the cultivation of citrus fruits every season of the year, the agricultural tools and the production methods used, the varieties and the properties that make tangerines and other citrus fruits so special.
-the society and people who constituted the main factor for the
The Korais Library and Argenti Museum are found in the same area at the Korais Street in the center of the island next to the cathedral at the end of the south side of the street Aplotarias. The Library of Adamantios Korais is one of the largest libraries in Greece with a collection of 250,000 volumes.
It was created in 1792 as part of the Great School of Chios. The first books were donations of Adamantios Korais and of his friends, who were basically Greeks, living abroad. Today the Library