Nea Moni is a monument of international importance. The church is the greatest example of the octagonal type of church and it is decorated by mosaics of various kinds. In the Southwest of the ledger is located the altar of the monastery while in the western end of the enclosure we come across with the defensive tower. The cistern in the northwest of the catholic dates back in the 11th century. The rooms should be dated back to the years of Genoese rule but there’s not any Byzantine room left
Panagia Krina is near the village Baviloi, 8 km south of the town of Chios and is an important Byzantine monument of the 12th century. It resembles to Nea Moni as far as the architecture and belongs to the so-called insular octagonal type. The technique of masonry gives a special charm. Extremely frescoes of different eras adorn the temple, while some have been moved to "Palataki of Justiniani" at the entrance of the Castle of Chios.
The church of Agioi Apostoloi is an insular octagonal system and a copy of the Nea Moni. It is a well-preserved Byzantine monument, richly decorated externally with bricked shapes. The interior is covered with frescoes that have been made by Anthony Domesticho from Crete in 1665.
The monastery was founded in 1570 by Ieromonachos Ieremias who went there to become a monk in the same cave that in the 11th century the fathers Nikitas, John (Ioannis) and Joseph (Iosif) were ascetics also. They were the founders of Nea Moni. The cave formed a church. Later the monk Pachomius formed the convent that attracted over the years many monks. The monastery follows the old calendar (13 days back depending the date) and it is not allowed to women to enter. It attracts many visitors and
The Monastery Moundon in Diefcha is dedicated to St. John the Baptist and is now abandoned. The church, chapels, monk’s rooms and the domed portico of the entrance are the existing complex of the monastery. The famous story begins in 1574, when it was restored by the monk Jacob Lagadiotis. This was the greatest monastery following Nea Moni. It had an impressive library with a remarkable kind of film-papyrus of 1462 AD which was probably the Testament of the Blessed Matrona of